I know, geez...it's been a while.
It's super duper cold (and humid to make matters worse) in Shanghai right now, and most of the Chinese folks who run the little shops have split town and headed out to remote parts of the country. Its the Chinese Lunar New Year, and it's a big deal. The streets are less busy, and people are leaving the big city to spend the year's biggest holiday with family. What is left is a more realistic amount of people in your way, and I can sense some sort of holiday spirit amongst these Chinese faces. Its like the feeling westerners have about Christmas. I'm back from a day of running around looking for a hardware store that is still open so I can buy spray-paint. I had no luck, so I'll have to wait until a week from now when all of the people return. Why do I need spray paint, you may be wondering?
Because I moved into my studio and am fixing it up. yep, it needs some TLC. My 40 sq. meter rectangle of joy is finally a reality. Some furniture stayed after I signed my lease, and I was able to clean most of the keepers. Some things have a wierd funk about them and need to be covered in black enamel ASAP. But in a nutshell, I am super super excited to have a space of my own and am trying to hurry up and outfit my studio with the right materials and organization so I can get busy. My proposal is way overdue for the AmSpace Gallery and I'm hoping to have my show in Late February, or early March (which means February is going to be NUTSO!)
I've given the photography gallery I've been working for my notice (again), and will be solely teaching English part time at home, and making work part time. (see Sophie and Angela, 2 of my 5 students, above, enjoying 10 minutes of drawing time after the meat of the lesson). I'm trying to organize my life so that artmaking becomes a reality again. I'm looking for more English gigs, and am happy Im on the right track. Money is tight right now, but Chris is totally supporting me in the rent category. I think I can make more money here teaching than if I came home to the US now and tried to find work. Just need to get more cash for art materials (glitter, foam, canvas, paint) and traveling.
Speaking of traveling, Im going to Thailand mid-March for my friends Candice & Jarrett's wedding. Its on an island near Phuket. Hello beaches, here I come! (eh hem, sunburn here I come)... Then Chris and I will take a train to Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, for five days. Then we take a flight to Vietnam (Saigon) and stay for another 4 days. Yes! I finally get to see most of Southeast Asia. Thank god, I was beginning to think I would leave China without see what else is over here. (will I ever get to India????)
Leaving China? well, not yet exactly. But it's in my thoughts. Don't want to be here for much longer. My studio is awesome, and I've waited for so long for it. I'll spend 8 months or so in it, give it up to an art friend if I can find one, and then Im ready for something else. I think....Not sure if Chris and I want to move to the same place...we'll see....
My 32nd Birthday is on Monday, and I'm celebrating it at the Glamour Bar (on the waterfront) along with my fellow Aquarian friend Ellen (who will also be celebrating for her departure from Shanghai Feb. 1st, which means I'm one good friend less richer). Hopefully all of our friends will obey the "black and white" dress code and we'll boogie to some of my favorite black disco (Chris will be dj'ing so I think I get to hear whatever I want!). I'll write again when I know what I'm doing with myself as a 32 year old. yikes.
Hugs from the East.
I miss you.
s
xo
No comments:
Post a Comment